Tuesday, October 23, 2007

The Fullness of Fall

This has been one of those weeks that not only reconfirms why it is that I live in this gorgeous part of the country, but also why it is that fall is my favorite season. Although a part of me wants summer to never end, the chilly fall air that signals the fall harvest also reminds me that fall is what it's all about. All of that winter planning, spring anticipation, and painstaking work in the fields is finally realized for a few short weeks in late fall, when the fullness of the harvest is right there, in your face. That's what I encountered at the market this week. Fall, in my face.

For some reason, these late-season crops excite me even more than the peak-of-summer excess of tomatoes, basil, and squash. The gorgeous greens, fungi, and fruit are all so fresh, tempting, and perfect; I am reminded of M.F.K. Fisher who experienced the same sensation in the markets she frequented in Europe. The gluttony of wanting all of this freshness overwhelms you, and you find yourself leaving the market with a basket that is ridiculously full--much more so than you had planned on. While I did manage to keep my purchases this week to a reasonable amount (no small feat, I might add), I was however so enamored with them that I had to show you the entire worth of my riches, so that you too might marvel in all that fall has to offer.

Clockwise, from left to right: the freshest eggs I've had in years, with deep golden-orange yolks, fresh black turtle beans, lovely Washington fresh organic Braeburn apples (so tart and juicy!), red Kale, fresh from the dirt carrots, the most perfect red leaf lettuce ever, a giant Bolete (fresh porcini) mushroom, monster jalapenos, and tomatillos. Oh, and I also bought some frozen Loki salmon which will be perfect with that commie kale.

Rather than throwing all of my treasures together into one "market" meal, I am trying to make it last this week by using bits and pieces every day. Sunday was a good day. We started off with simple, delicious scrambled eggs. Later that day we used the tomatillos, along with some of the chilis and garlic, to make a salsa verde for enchiladas. I also cooked up some of the fresh black beans for this meal and they were remarkably good; "Not dry at all!" was the quote of the day from my husband. I could definitely tell the difference in quality over your standard canned or even dried black beans. The apples have also been a daily treat, and the lettuce has made for delightful salads.

The freshness of fall is of course a mixed blessing. Nothing this fresh can last forever. Soon enough I will show up at the market some Saturday and the brilliant green treasures currently dotting the landscape will be long gone, replaced by monotone potatoes and mealy apples. But for now, it's there, so I will certainly enjoy it.

1 comment:

Logos Mori said...

Oh god, Ellen, I couldn't agree more! The autumn treasures at the market are what makes the traffic, the rain and the ridiculously short days all worth it. Viva la PNW! I am just glad it was fall IN your face, not fall on your face.